Have you been really thirsty in the past 24 hours? Did you have a hard time getting something to drink? Did you wonder if what you drank to quench your thirst was going to make you sick, or maybe even kill you? Probably not, but there are people in this world who have to walk miles just to bring home a bucket of water so dirty that will make some of them ill, or even die.
This is not a little problem. Today, 780 million people lack access to clean water. Every 15 seconds, a child dies because he or she lacks safe water. They die because they drink untreated water from puddles, pits, and streams which are polluted by livestock and humans. This water is often filled with microbes that cause acute diarrhea and other illnesses that oftentimes lead to death.
In most instances, clean water is available, but not accessible. All that’s needed is a well! Now
you can help provide one by participating in the Water 4 Kids Two-Week Challenge. Here’s how:
We want to challenge you to make water your only beverage for two weeks. Just two weeks!
Today, we are asking you to consider a simple, two-week effort to restore villages with the gift of safe water. This effort provides you with a unique opportunity to save a life, to make an enormous impact through a small sacrifice.
- Every 15 seconds, a child dies because of a lack of clean drinking water. That is 10,000 children per day, or four million per year.
- In most cases, clean water is right beneath their feet, but there is no well, only disease-infested pools of stagnant surface water.
How Can I Help?
- For two weeks, drink no beverages other than water.
- Set aside all the money you would have spent on soda, juice, milk, coffees, and other beverages.
- Use the money to help drill wells in areas that do not have access to safe water.
What Makes the Two-Week Challenge Different from Other Fundraisers?
- Money will come from your daily expenditures, not from personal savings or similar funds.
- All project money should come from the small sacrifice of giving up other beverages. In essence, we want you to divert funds that were headed toward the soda machine or coffee shop.
- This project allows you to move money that would have gone to consumption to a valuable contribution.
- As you sacrifice the pleasure of other beverages--for two weeks only--you will be making a choice that saves a life.
During that time, take the money you would have spent on soda, juice, sports drinks, and other beverages, and put it aside for some people in need. If you are heading toward the soda machine, head for the water fountain instead. If your family goes out to dinner, and you usually order iced tea or soda, ask for water. It’s free. Wear your wristband to help remind yourself to choose water.
Keep track of your savings!
Continue your sacrifice for two weeks. You’ll be amazed at how the savings add up over such a short amount of time! Encourage your whole family to participate.
After two weeks, calculate the amount of money saved by your sacrifice.
Make out a check for that amount, payable to:
Water 4 Kids International
PO Box 74010
Phoenix, AZ 85087
Please write “W4KI Two-Week Challenge” in the memo line.
Your donation will be used to drill wells registered in our Water 4 Kids International program. If you have some friends or acquaintances who you think might also participate in this project, please encourage them to contact us at (623) 979-5516 or e-mail email@example.com. Water 4 Kids International provides materials to make it easy to present this challenge to church, school, and civic organizations. Thank you!